Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekly Reflection

My first week, oh boy. There where many ups and downs, a lot of big ups... a few major downs. I am proud of the work that I accomplished and the things that I have learned so far. I wrote two songs, one of which, “Home” was already was very well received by several faculty and students at the coffee shop on Saturday, and both well liked by Bill and myself. And although my relationship with myself definitely needed some work on thursday and friday, my relationship with Bill has been just spot on, which is wonderful. The first thing I want to say in my little reflection here is a big thank-you to everyone that takes the time to read my blog. I honestly didn’t think anyone really cared that much but I have to say I am so happy they do.
One girl came up to me and said, “I read your blog... do you really hate senior project that much?” And I so desperately want to clarify that I LOVE senior project, It is the most wonderful, and special opportunity. I get to go to my own class, and focus all of my energy on something I love doing, and love exploring. During that exploration there is the potential, as with every expressionary medium, for frustration, depression, anger ect. I am learning more and more that writing a good song, takes a lot of emotion, and thought. There is a real need, as with every form of art, to just let your mind go, to wherever it goes, no matter how scary the place may be. Happiness is not even half of what makes up the creative emotional spectrum, and I want to convey that so far that is one of the most powerful things I have learned.
It’s ok to feel frustrated, It’s ok to feel angry at the perfectly beautiful world around you, (as long as you clean up the mess you leave behind), It’s those emotions that have the potential for turning out some really interesting things. So the fact that I had two bad days, and that I was frustrated at myself, and then in turn the world around me; ended up being ok, because I am fine now and letting my self just go a little bit ended up turning out a song, “home” that people really enjoy! Really... I can’t just sit down at a desk and expect to write a great life changing song. To the same effect I can’t just sit around and make myself miserable all day either. I have to just experience life the way it really is. Next week, I am going to have a bit of a different approach to at least the first few days while I still have tome to write and record, because once the days start getting short in number, I need to start pulling my album together, song list, cover art, CDs ect.
Next week will be a fun week, a crazy week, I have the play friday and Saturday, plus full dress rehearsals every other night and after noon. During the day I’m going to take some walks, do some completive meditation, do some research on album covers and artwork. Most importantly, however, I am NOT going to loose my voice, and I am NOT going to get sick. Thank you again to everyone reading my blog, I sincerely hope that you are enjoying following the process as much as I am enjoying living it, and please keep commenting and reading. Oh, and maybe, I will write a song about my snacks, and watching food network every night. And! I can spell tomorrow, watch; Tomorrow, see?

3 comments:

  1. "It's ok to feel frustrated, It’s ok to feel angry at the perfectly beautiful world around you, (as long as you clean up the mess you leave behind), It’s those emotions that have the potential for turning out some really interesting things." Truer words were never spoken, Matt. Use it all. -ST

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you hit "enter" and then "tab" that makes a new paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Matt. You are delving deeply into the artistic and life process. I'm proud of you and proud of all you're doing to have an honest adventure in this. Wahooooo! Love ya, Laurie Z

    ReplyDelete